Effective at noon on Wednesday Oct. 5th, Category 2 open burning prohibitions will be rescinded throughout the Southeast Fire Centre’s jurisdiction. Due to the decreased wildfire risk, one to two concurrently burning piles no larger then two metres high by three metres wide.
Residents are reminded to take the following precautions with any Category 2 open burning:
- Never leave fire unattended.
- Follow the Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation: http://ow.ly/9LnG50L1fjf
- Check the local venting index: http://ow.ly/5MHN50L15iu
- At least one person equipped with a firefighting hand tool must monitor the fire at all times.
- Never burn in windy conditions.
- Create a fire guard around the planned fire site by clearing away twigs, grass, leaves, and other combustible material right down to the soil.
- Make sure the fire is completely extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before you leave the area for any length of time.
Visit BC Wildfire’s website for more information: Wildfire Service – Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)